Laura Fetrow Real Estate

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Running on Empty

So many of the closest to me knew I had my favorite race a couple weeks ago - the Urban cow half marathon.
 
This is truly the one race I'll never miss. It is just a blast. Bands every couple miles blasting music to keep you going, along with at least 7 aid stations with water and Gatorade. And this time the Gatorade was my saving grace to keep me going for those 13.1 miles. My timing was better than I thought but a few things happened that I need to correct for next time: 
 1) need to eat a small breakfast before a run with that kind of distance. I usually don't eat at all out of nerves but I need to get over it because my body was aching for fuel. 
2) need to think about some type of pack to wear to carry additional fuel. Again with that kind of distance you need to be refueling at some point. 
3) don't sit down at all when its over - at least not for awhile. I sat down immediately and the lactic acid came rushing to my muscles and I was in extreme pain. Thank goodness they had an abundant supply of beach hut sandwhiches, cookies, cheese and fruit to eat after the race to help, again, with fueling your body. Urban cow you rock 
4) as always, have your biggest fans cheering you on. That's what makes me the happiest. And the run is all worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment