Laura Fetrow Real Estate

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Paleo Day 7

So I made it a whole week. And I’m feeling a lot better. Tummy starting to feel better. Skin feels better. Not having crazy cravings etc etc.
But I thought I would talk about a more serious reason on why everyone should consider lowering their carb intake. Many of my friends and family have type 2 diabetes, which is when not enough insulin is produced in the body. As you may know it is onset usually though a poor diet, and before the obesity epidemic took off and all our children became commonly overweight, it used to be called adult-onset diabetes. But so many kids are now overweight and have poor nutrition they are developing type 2 diabetes in their youth. Sad. Wake up people. This is a serious problem. I could talk forever about this.
Back to why we need to lower our carbs and its relationship with diabetes. So, along with our children eating more processed junk and nothing but white breads and mac and cheese, we are also becoming lazier. Our kids aren’t outside playing ball during the summer, not riding their bikes to the park, or even playing in their own backyard. What are they doing? They are watching tv all day or playing video games. I’m not saying quiet time isn’t good or having some downtime during the day isn’t helpful, but they need more exercise. Exercise is what helps use glucose in the body.
So the lack of exercise paired with a higher sugar loaded diet equals lots and lots of health problems including diabetes. If we consume too many carbs and aren’t burning them off through physical exercise than all the carbs turns into fat. Unused energy turning into fat.
What does paleo have to do with this? Well, the lifestyle is a lower carb diet.  No processed junk. No artificial sugars or sweeteners. All whole foods. You will have more protein to your diet, but will also be eating more veggies than you have before. And really a lot less sugar. Also, it gives you the energy you need to be more active. Win Win.
I don’t want type 2 diabetes and I don’t want my children too either or my significant other (and if by chance you are reading this, yes I’m talking about you and I always worry about your health). Just time for us all to have a lifestyle change. Ready for it .

No comments:

Post a Comment